DEFINING OUTBREAKS IN SCHOOLS
The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) collaborated with the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources (WV DHHR) to develop guidance for all counties on how to respond to a positive case or cases in schools.
To view the WVDE Defining COVID-19 Outbreaks in Schools document, please click HERE.
To view the WVDHHR Guidelines for COVID-19 Outbreaks in Schools (Pre-K-12), please click HERE.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR PCS & HOW WILL FAMILIES BE NOTIFIED?
Each time Putnam County Schools is notified of a confirmed positive COVID-19 case in a school, the school will first notify school staff and families. The Putnam County Health Department (PCHD) will conduct contact tracing and alert those individuals who may have been in close contact with a student or staff member diagnosed with COVID-19.
Responding to Suspected COVID-19 Cases in Schools
- School is notified of a suspected case
- School contacts Local Health Department
- Local Health Department determines if there is a positive case
- Local Health Department works with school to do contract tracing
- Local Health Department and County Superintendent make one of the following determinations:
- School goes into remote learning while contact tracing is occurring and building is cleaned
- Specific individuals are required to quarantine by the Local Health Department
- Local Health Department, with county office, determines a classroom need to quarantine
- Local Health Department, with county office, determines a school needs to go into remote learning for 14 days because of an outbreak
- School will notify staff and families of positive case information
More information on WVDE criteria can be found within the WVDE School Re-Entry Toolkit.
PCS CASE TRACKING
Putnam County Schools will be tracking information on active confirmed positive COVID-19 cases within our schools to increase transparency. Information will include the school name, the number of active confirmed positive cases, and the date of the confirmed positive case notification.
Please Note: This is an ACTIVE confirmed positive case log only. Information will be updated weekly and may not reflect daily/real-time reporting.
*Total active confirmed positive case numbers may include students enrolled in virtual learning. The majority of these virtual learners have not entered their school buildings.
|SCHOOL||ACTIVE CONFIRMED POSITIVE CASES||DATE OF CONFIRMED POSITIVE NOTIFICATION|
|Conner Street Elementary||1||10/22/20|
|George Washington Elementary|
|Hurricane Town Elementary||2||10/19/20, 10/21/20|
|Mountain View Elementary|
|Rock Branch Elementary|
|Scott Teays Elementary|
|West Teays Elementary||2||10/21/20, 10/25/20|
|George Washington Middle|
|Winfield Middle||3||10/15/20, 10/15/20, 10/23/20|
|Putnam Career & Technical Center|
|PCS Central Office|
|PCS Transportation Department|